splash...pedal...dash

"Rapid motion through space elates one." - James Joyce

Sunday, October 25, 2009

First In The Flower Division

Run Like Hell 10K
Portland, OR

Overall Time: Gun -51:27 , Chip - 50:28 (8:07 m/m), a 3:02 PR!!!
Placing: 160/942 OA, 48/639 F, 11/145 F30-34

Splits
1M -8:14
2M - 8:07
3M - 8:10
4M - 8:09
5M - 8:16
6M - 8:24
Finish - 1:08

Fashion Report: Free Love Gym Girl skirt, pink Asics tech T, lime green socks, flowerpot hat, & orange felt flower collar
Breakfast Report: Cinnamon Roll oatmeal, coffee, water
Race Nutrition: Nuthin'! It was a 10K!
Post Race Libation: Laurelwood Ghostly Pale Ale


My formula for PRs? They're much easier to come by when you have no expectations. I put this race on the calendar to keep the streak alive. Hey, I like to race. I've been running 15-20 miles per week and bike commuting 1-2 times per week since my half Ironman. No speedwork, no heart rate monitor, no stress. Swimming? Uh, I haven't touched the water since Grand Columbian. I have been savoring my self-imposed off season. And since it was so close to Halloween, why not wear a costume for grins and giggles?

We got to Pioneer Square in just enough time for me to hit the porta-potty and half-heartedly jog around in some semblance of a warm-up. Who was I kidding? It was barely a warm-up. I think I covered half a mile and didn't even do my usual strides. I wished Chad & Fire Chief Nathan luck in the Kid's Half Mile and lined up. It was a slowish start due to the crowds but it did prevent me from going out too fast. I hit the first mile marker pretty much where I wanted to be then settled into that pace enjoying the other costumes and the nice Fall morning. I can't say much about the scenery since the course pretty much wound through the ugliest parts of the Industrial district but it was mostly flat so it was all good. Just a hard tempo run with 1000 of my closest, craziest friends. I could feel myself fading at about the 5.5 mile mark and the small rise towards the end didn't help matters much but I kicked it in and finished strong notching a new 10K PR on the way. Solid run and a lot of fun. It was a good morning.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home