A Puke-Worthy Run
Sherwood Give & Gobble
Sherwood, OR
The Short Version
Unofficial Time: 23:59 (7:45/mile), a 1:25 PR for the distance!!!
Placing: 22/701 OA, 3/??? F, 1/??? F30-34
Splits
1M - 7:27
2M - 7:43/15:10
Finish - 8:48/23:59 (Holy Positive Split, Batman!!! The last 1.1 worked out to an 8:00 mile)
Fashion Report: Black/White Pearl Izumi Tights, Team Red Lizard singlet, Red Adidas LS Tech
T, blue/orange Pearl Izumi argyle socks, LIT hat, Black gloves, Mizuno Wave Inspire 4
Breakfast Report: Vanilla cinnamon oatmeal, coffee, water
Goals
1. Run to near-pukedom and have fun doing it
2. PR and finally snag my sub-25:00 5K
1. Sub 1:30 Sprint Tri - Check
2. Sub 3:00 Oly Tri - Check
3. Sub 2:00 Half Marathon - Check
4. Sub 25:00 5K - Check!!!
Another race masquerading as speedwork for me this week which means, yes, I trained through it and am now mentally getting ready for my first 20-miler this weekend. Woke up to clear skies and 28 degree temps...Brrr!!! I'd been dithering between my usual skirt or tights. It was a no brainer now. We got to Sherwood around 8 so I could register, donate food, pick up my shirt, the usual stuff. Warmed up on the high school track by jogging a mile and inserting some 100 m strides during the last half-mile. I lined up right behind the guy holding a sign saying, "Runners Start Here". There was another guy a bit further up holding another sign that said, "Super-fast Runners Start Here." Not for me, thanks. A bit of drama with a malfunctioning air horn but then we were off. The pack broke up rather quickly and I settled in for a 25 minute redlining pain fest. My friend, Jeff, caught up with me around the 1.5 mile mark and we grunted out some greetings, talked a bit about our time goals, next summer's races, Jeff more so than I. I finally told him that I really needed to focus on breathing and not puking. He pulled ahead slightly but kept about a 5-10 ft imaginary rubber band between us pulling me along for the ride and yelling back encouragement every so often. As we approached the 3 mile mark, I heard light footfalls behind me. Uh oh, another chick. I surged a bit but not enough. We all got confused on the final turn but she ended up passing me about 50 ft before the finish line. I looked in the well. Damn, not much left so I focused on finishing strong and then not throwing up all over my shoes. I finished with a 1 mile cool down wog and then we all headed home to cook our Turkey Day dinner.
My 5K PR is now 23:59 and Chad's 5K PR is 18:32 on accurate courses.
Assume we both run exactly our PR pace.
If I get a 3 minute head start, how long will it take for Chad to pass me after I start running and how far along the 5K course will I be?
23:59 = 7:45/mile
18:32 = 5:58/mile
f(x) = 7.75x
g (x) = 5.967x + 3
7.75x = 5.967x + 3
1.783x = 3
x = 1.68 miles (about 13 minutes into my race)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home